Saturday, September 11, 2010

My Momma's Side of the Road Chair














Margaret Howard, my Momma (as we say here in the South) found this horrible, stained chair, all ripped and torn, on the side of the road when she went to visit her friend JoAnn. She told JoAnn that she found a chair but she needed some help getting it in the car. So those 2 grandmothers went back and put this chair in the back of my momma's car! Momma liked the lines of the chair, especially the upper back. We wanted to update it so we added a very long skirt. The fabric is woven like duck cloth, at least that is what Shannon of Fabric Solutions told us. It is the most beautiful gray-brown and when pre-washed, it became so soft. My camera doesn't do the color justice.


Momma cooked a good country meal of roast beef, cabbage, butterbeans, rice, gravy and the most wonderful keylime/lemon pie for dessert, while I was downstairs in my workroom sewing. The Key Limes were from the tree outside my workroom. It bore just enough for that pie and some good margarita's this year. I enjoyed mom coming and seeing my work and she was a pretty good assistant cutting out welting and blocking the pieces for her chair.


There is no stopping her now! No telling what she is going to put in her trunk next!!!
Momma's Lemon or Key Lime Pie Recipe
1 graham cracker premade pie crust
2 eggs seperated
1 can Eagle Brand Milk
1/2 cup Lemon or Lime Juice( you may use either real or concentrated)
1 tsp. grated lemon rind
Mix above and pour into pie shell.
Then immediately top with meringue:
2 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar
vanilla
Bake 350 degrees till meringue is done.

Follow Slipcover Chic on Facebook and Pinterest.

4 comments:

  1. How cool is that! Wish I could have seen the two grandmas getting that in the car! Would have loved to give them a hand. And it sounds like a great way to spend time with momma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina, love you mom's recipe and ALL your slip covers. You do fantastic work. I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a wonderful job! Absoutely beautiful!
    I'm glad you had a good time.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I enlarged the photo I could see the softness of the fabric and the equally soft color. It looks luscious!
    xox
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...