Monday, October 21, 2013

Summer Turns....Uggh...To Fall...(I will be all right)....

No more summer.....

Summer.....I am a Summer girl....going to fall is ....well ......difficult for me. Living here at the beach, seeing the happy people, feeling the sun shine, water at my fingers and sand in my toes...that is ME!

This photo is me on my float! I love to be in the water, see the water, feel the water. Yes, I will be the one praying to keep all sharks away....but I do love the water.

We had some wonderful times on the beach after all the rain moved out. But because of the abundance of rain I feel like I missed most of my precious summer.

This is a view of one of the beach areas near me....just beautiful. I feel blessed to live here!

Well, enough of that ......summer is gone, and to help me get over the depression, I mean, to get me on to the next season...I decided to go where I believe fall shows off its best...the mountains of North Carolina! We have sweet friends that asked us to join them at their beautiful cabin on Dream Mountain, near Boone. As we exited the car from a blind drop driveway...this is the view I saw. Blind drop driveway? What's that? Well, as you turn to go in the drive way...all you see is sky, no driveway. You just have to drive forward and then as you drop, the driveway appears. Whew! As we drove up the mountain, I wasn't sure if I wanted to do that again! But I got used to it! The views are worth it.

The cabin was a real log cabin, tin roof, stone fireplace, not to forget the views from an all glass wall facing the most beautiful mountain areas. The fall colors, the crisp air, that is what I needed to move me into the next season.

Marshmallows on the fire pit, apple cider, pumpkins and colored gourds....visits to old places from the 1800s, still in operation, boots, knit caps, Appalachian State Homecoming...it all helped me to move from my favorite time of year to the next season. Fall, a time for family get togethers, state fairs, college football, (go Wolfpack), Thanksgiving. I think I will make it now. Thanks Charles and Donna for the refreshing, the retreat, the laughs, late night card games and the discovery of more of Gods Blessings.

So what has this pillow got to do with summer? Nothing! It's my changeover to fall. I came home and moved the summer colors in my pillows, throws, candles, some other things to a closet and did the changeover. The trip to the mountains helped me move on.

These are some before and after photos of some small changes anyone can make.

Candelabra out....fall decorations in.

 

I love these ceramic pheasants I found at an antique store.....

Added some flat wear with bamboo handles....hand painted china by Tracey Porter, from her Artesian Road Collection, a pumpkin my mom gave me and a table runner that a friend and I made...

From this summer mantle with its blue candle and mercury glass holder....

To this ...green candle with a black carved wood holder...

My pretty Amy Butler print pillows I made, the Aqua Pom Pom fringe throw....

Changed to this. I made the chocolate brown polka dot pillows with the handmade knife pleats and traded out the throw to my favorite print...leopard.

Even added some coral and white china shells to the mix behind the sofa....

A Lumbar down pillow for the Pennsylvania House wicker chair....

The matlasse slipcover I made....helps me change seasons. I LOVE MY SLIPCOVERS!

Then went from this summer look......

To the new happy Fall look!

 

My Morkie, Tory, had fun chasing me around while I pulled things out of buffets, drawers and closets.

Just a few cherished pieces, a trip to the fabric store, some sewing (of course) and I have moved....fingernails screeching, from my favorite season, to a new season filled with different colors added in and more family memories.

Did I say...I LOVE SLIPCOVERS?! You can change seasons, change looks, change covers! I love them they are always clean and crisp and cozy!

Fall...not summer.....but I will be alright!

 

Follow Slipcover Chic on Facebook and Pinterest.

2 comments:

  1. I am planning to redo the ugliest couch in existence. Anyway, instead of loose pillows for the bottom and back I want to use hard density foam. I'd like a light fabric for the foam. What would you recommend? I want something that washes well and lasts. I love all of the slipcovers you've done and you've inspired me to tackle the couch noone wants. Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of my clients use Robert Allen duck cloth. It washes and sews well. Thank you for the compliment and good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...